Shakespeare Solved® versions of these plays solve the mysteries surrounding them by taking us back in time to see the plays as they were performed for the first time in history.


This blog explains these new versions, and explores the life and times of Shakespeare, in order to build support for my new TV series versions of the plays.


Available from Amazon, Apple, and Google Play. Search: David B. Schajer.


Please join over 73,000 other people who follow Shakespeare Solved® -- the number one Shakespeare blog in the world -- on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr, and Instagram!



Articles Written For:


The University of Oxford's Bodleian Library & The Royal Shakespeare Company


Most Popular Posts:


1. Shakespeare's Shylock Solved 2. Shakespeare's Othello Finally Identified 3. Shakespeare In Love Sequel Solved 4. The Real Romeo and Juliet 5. Shakespeare's Malvolio Solved 6. Shakespeare's Real Petruchio

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Fiasco Theater's Cymbeline at the Folger Shakespeare Theatre

I just saw the Fiasco Theater's production of Cymbeline at the Folger Shakespeare Theatre in Washington, D.C.

It's a great show!

Hurry up and go see it -- it's only playing until this Sunday, 1st of June!

Go to this link to buy tickets:






I am not a professional theatre critic, but I do want to share some of my thoughts with you about this exciting production.

I wrote about the New York City based Fiasco Theater before, when I saw their wonderful production of Two Gentlemen of Verona.






I was very excited to see this, especially since it is the first time in about 18 months they have performed it, and I was not disappointed.

I have to admit that Cymbeline is a problem play for me. I understand the play on one level, while on another level I have my own ideas about what the play really means,  but it's not a play I particularly enjoy. 






I have never seen it before, so I was very eager to see any live performance.

I am so glad that I saw it first with this excellent production.

What grabbed me was that the actors are so skilled, and so energetic that they bring to the play a lot of … fun, joy, spirit.

The set is very simple, a few boxes and other props. It struck me that the set is almost like a child's playroom, but with adult and very professional actors who have this amazing childlike enthusiasm for the material. 





Their spirit is infectious and I was laughing all the way through.

They also made a wise choice to smooth over the rougher patches of the play with a sort of Monty Pythonesque quality of just going with it, and never letting logic get in the way of a good joke.

So, if you are like me and Cymbeline has never won you over, this may be the one production to do it.





Also, the music in the play is great, and the cast members sing and play instruments with a surprising and unusual degree of skill.

Also, I hope you check back here on this blog. I will definitely write about Cymbeline again, and share with you some of my own conclusions about the true meaning of the play.

Cheers, 



BUY NOW from Amazon