Shakespeare Solved ®


Shakespeare Solved ® is a forthcoming series of novels that covers the Bard's entire life and work.

These novels solve the mysteries surrounding Shakespeare by transporting us back in time, to walk in his shoes, and see his world through his eyes.

Only when we see Shakespeare in his original historical context can we understand what his plays and poems really mean.

This blog explains some of my ideas and discoveries, to prepare for this series of novels.

Please join over 72,000 people on facebook, Twitter & Google Plus following Shakespeare Solved ® -- the number one Shakespeare blog in the world!


Articles Written For:

The University of Oxford's Bodleian Library & The Royal Shakespeare Company

Most Popular Posts:

1. Shakespeare's Shylock Solved 2. Shakespeare's Othello Finally Identified 3. Shakespeare In Love Sequel Solved 4. The Real Romeo and Juliet 5. Shakespeare's Malvolio Solved 6. Shakespeare's Real Petruchio



Thursday, November 21, 2013

Julie Taymor Smithsonian Interview & Midsummer Pictures

Here is an interesting interview with Julie Taymor in Smithsonian.

I enjoy reading what she has to say about Shakespeare. She has a very unique perspective into his plays. I even went to hear her speak a few months ago in NYC at the Pearl Theatre -- I wrote about it here.





In the article she mentions that her favorite Shakespeare play is Titus Andronicus, which was the first film she directed -- Titus in 1999, starring Anthony Hopkins.


I find that very interesting, because while I like her film version of the play, Titus Andronicus is far from my favorite Shakespeare play.

My favorite Shakespeare play is The Merchant of Venice. It was the first Shakespeare play that I solved, and it set me on a path to solve other plays by Shakespeare. 

Also, for far too long it has been misunderstood as a tragicomedy, when in fact it is a very funny bawdy farce. It is Shakespeare's funniest play.

As I explored Shakespeare's plays, I discovered that Titus Andronicus is a lot funnier than we think. I think that Shakespeare's Elizabethan audience laughed at the excessive violence on the stage rather than was horrified by it.

I wonder if Ms. Taymor has ever considered reading and interpreting Titus Andronicus as a comedy. She might be surprised.

The article covers much of her career, up to and including her current production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at the Theatre For A New Audience in Brooklyn, NY.

I saw the production and it is wonderful. It runs through January 12, 2014.

You can get more information and buy tickets here:

Here are some new pictures I found online, if you want to get a good look at the marvelous production design and costume design.
















Cheers,


BUY NOW from iTunes