Shakespeare Solved® versions of these plays solve the mysteries surrounding them by taking us back in time to see the plays as they were performed for the first time in history.


This blog explains these new versions, and explores the life and times of Shakespeare, in order to build support for my new TV series versions of the plays.


Available from Amazon, Apple, and Google Play. Search: David B. Schajer.


Please join over 73,000 other people who follow Shakespeare Solved® -- the number one Shakespeare blog in the world -- on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr, and Instagram!



Articles Written For:


The University of Oxford's Bodleian Library & The Royal Shakespeare Company


Most Popular Posts:


1. Shakespeare's Shylock Solved 2. Shakespeare's Othello Finally Identified 3. Shakespeare In Love Sequel Solved 4. The Real Romeo and Juliet 5. Shakespeare's Malvolio Solved 6. Shakespeare's Real Petruchio

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

James McAvoy, Macbeth and Shakespeare

Should James McAvoy do some Shakespeare?


Well, that's a trick question.

He's actually doing Shakespeare's Macbeth starting this month -- from 9 February to 27 April at Trafalgar Studios in London.


I am sure that it will be a great show, and if you can make it, you should drop everything to see this.

Claire Foy as Lady Macbeth is an inspired choice. She is a fantastic actress, and I loved her in Little Dorrit.

If you do see the show, please let me know how it is. I'd love to read and post your reviews!



I think James McAvoy should do as much Shakespeare as possible.

The last time he did some was in 2005, in that great ShakespeaRe-Told series -- and he was in the Macbeth episode!

I'm surprised that it has taken this long for him to get back to the Bard, but I hope that he develops a love for it, and does it more often.

And while I would love for him to do some more Shakespeare on stage -- I would love even more for him to do some Shakespeare on film.



I can imagine him in any number of roles -- Hamlet, Iago, Richard III, etc.

He is one of the most versatile actors working today.

But I would really love to see him in some Solved Shakespeare.

I think he would be great in a series of films set in the Elizabethan period, to tell the real story of William Shakespeare.


As I wrote my versions of Hamlet, Richard III and The Merchant of Venice, I thought about which UK actors and actresses could fit in that world, and tell that story.

James McAvoy is at the top of that list.

He would be terrific as one of the actors in the Lord Chamberlain's Men, with William Shakespeare.

I can easily imagine him as one of the first people to bring Shakespeare's plays alive.

In fact, I think he would make a great William Shakespeare.

James McAvoy is that kind of actor who is not satisfied with the same kind of role over and over again. He wants to challenge himself. He wants to express his talent as fully as possible.

He has acted in such a wide variety of films, and expressed himself in so many ways as an actor -- much in the same way that Shakespeare wrote to express the human condition in almost every conceivable configuration.

Shakespeare never played it safe. He wrote some of the most popular but also the most controversial plays of the period.

James McAvoy never seems to be playing it safe.


He has done so many kinds of roles -- comedy, romantic comedy, romantic drama, period pieces, action -- that the only ones he seems to be missing would be found in Shakespeare.

It is only natural then that James McAvoy and Shakespeare would unite on stage.


But I think it would be very exciting to see him on a movie screen in some Shakespeare.

And maybe as Shakespeare.

What do you think?

Cheers,

David Schajer

Books on Amazon