Shakespeare Solved® versions of these plays solve the mysteries surrounding them by taking us back in time to see the plays as they were performed for the first time in history.


This blog explains these new versions, and explores the life and times of Shakespeare, in order to build support for my new TV series versions of the plays.


Available from Amazon, Apple, and Google Play. Search: David B. Schajer.


Please join over 73,000 other people who follow Shakespeare Solved® -- the number one Shakespeare blog in the world -- on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr, and Instagram!



Articles Written For:


The University of Oxford's Bodleian Library & The Royal Shakespeare Company


Most Popular Posts:


1. Shakespeare's Shylock Solved 2. Shakespeare's Othello Finally Identified 3. Shakespeare In Love Sequel Solved 4. The Real Romeo and Juliet 5. Shakespeare's Malvolio Solved 6. Shakespeare's Real Petruchio

Thursday, December 20, 2012

The Shakespeare Theatre Company's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Last night I saw A Midsummer Night's Dream in Washington D.C. at The Shakespeare Theatre Company's Sidney Harman Hall.


It was the first time I have seen a show there, and my expectations were high. After all, earlier this year they received the Tony Award for Best Regional Theatre.

I wasn't disappointed.

The show was excellent!

The costumes were fantastic, the set was great (with hanging chandeliers, trap doors, and a floating piano!) and the music perfectly set the mood -- sometimes whimsical, sometimes dark, and always magical.

The actors were top notch, and they brought a lot of energy and wit to the play.

I don't want to single any actor out, since they were all so good, but there were some priceless moments: Pyramus's hilariously gory death, Titania's waking up in the piano and falling in love with Bottom, and Oberon and Puck in the chandelier with the golf club.

And I don't want to give anything away, but I never thought I'd see a Shakespearean mud-fight! Brilliant!

But for me personally, the greatest moment was (no spoiler, don't worry) between Thisbe and the Wall.

The joke is so politically incorrect and so bawdy, that I am convinced that it was how Shakespeare's original actors would have played it. It rang so true. The audience and I died with laughter.

I think the director Ethan McSweeny did a fantastic job of mining the play for comedy, and he hit paydirt over and over again. I especially think that his setting the play in a vaguely 1930's period was a perfect set-up to the Rude Mechanicals as almost Vaudevillian performers. The entire Pyramus and Thisbe performance is a laugh riot.

I highly recommend that you go see this show if you can -- it is extended through January 6th.

I am very eager to see more Shakespeare at the STC -- they are doing Coriolanus and The Winter's Tale in May 2013.

Cheers,

David