Shakespeare Solved® versions of these plays solve the mysteries surrounding them by taking us back in time to see the plays as they were performed for the first time in history.


This blog explains these new versions, and explores the life and times of Shakespeare, in order to build support for my new TV series versions of the plays.


Available from Amazon, Apple, and Google Play. Search: David B. Schajer.


Please join over 73,000 other people who follow Shakespeare Solved® -- the number one Shakespeare blog in the world -- on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, Tumblr, and Instagram!



Articles Written For:


The University of Oxford's Bodleian Library & The Royal Shakespeare Company


Most Popular Posts:


1. Shakespeare's Shylock Solved 2. Shakespeare's Othello Finally Identified 3. Shakespeare In Love Sequel Solved 4. The Real Romeo and Juliet 5. Shakespeare's Malvolio Solved 6. Shakespeare's Real Petruchio

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Emma Watson & Shakespeare

It is hard to judge an actress who is almost exclusively known for one role, as Emma is with Hermione, in the Harry Potter series.

But she was so very good in those films.




She was also good in Ballet Shoes, and she was fine in a rather small part in My Week With Marilyn. I have yet to see Perks of Being A Wallflower, but it looks good and I think she was well cast. My niece and nephew, who have read the book, are very pleased that she was cast in the film.

* Update: I saw Perks, and she was fantastic! It is absolutely the best performance of her career. It is such an important role in the story, and she carried it off very well. It almost seemed effortless for her.

Overall, the word that comes to mind when I think of her is genuine. There doesn't seem to be, thankfully, anything artificial about her performances. She seems very real.




I think she would be fine in some Shakespeare. I would like to see her perform Juliet, and I would be very interested to see her perform Ophelia -- more of a challenge, but well worth trying.

But as I have mentioned before, in my versions of Hamlet, Richard III and The Merchant of Venice, the plays are presented as they would have been performed for the first time by Shakespeare himself and his company of actors. As such, all of the roles are performed by men.

However, since my versions also include scenes of Shakespeare's life away from the theatres in London, there are several roles for female actors.

I keep thinking of Emma as a young Anne Hathaway, Shakespeare's wife.

Is it my imagination, or is there a resemblance?




I depict the early courtship of young Anne and Will in Stratford, and I think she would be excellent as the young lady who caught his eye, stole his heart, and as he wrote in Sonnet 145 -- which is considered to be written for her -- saved his life:

Those lips that Love's own hand did make
Breathed forth the sound that said "I hate"
To me that languished for her sake.
But when she saw my woeful state,
Straight in her heart did mercy come,
Chiding that tongue that, ever sweet,
Was used in giving gentle doom,
And taught it thus anew to greet:
"I hate" she altered with an end
That followed it as gentle day
Doth follow night, who like a fiend
From heaven to hell is flown away.
  "I hate" from hate away she threw,
  And saved my life, saying "not you."

I have written before and will continue to write that Shakespeare and Anne were indeed in love, contrary to what some may think.

I do not think theirs was a "shotgun wedding" and I don't think Shakespeare ever regretted marrying Anne.

She may have had her regrets, and I'm sure she would have wanted him home more often, but I don't think she ever regretted marrying him.

I think having an actress as genuine and endearing as Emma Watson would go a long way to illustrating what kind of woman Anne really was, and what their relationship was really like.




What do you think?

If you agree with me that she should play Anne Hathaway, please show your support on facebook, Twitter, PinterestGoogle Plus or Tumblr.

Your support will really make a difference!

And your comments are always welcome!


Cheers,

David B. Schajer


BUY NOW from Amazon