Shakespeare Solved ®


Shakespeare Solved ® is a forthcoming series of novels that covers the Bard's entire life and work.

These novels solve the mysteries surrounding Shakespeare by transporting us back in time, to walk in his shoes, and see his world through his eyes.

Only when we see Shakespeare in his original historical context can we understand what his plays and poems really mean.

This blog explains some of my ideas and discoveries, to prepare for this series of novels.

Please join over 72,000 people on facebook, Twitter & Google Plus following Shakespeare Solved ® -- the number one Shakespeare blog in the world!


Articles Written For:

The University of Oxford's Bodleian Library & The Royal Shakespeare Company

Most Popular Posts:

1. Shakespeare's Shylock Solved 2. Shakespeare's Othello Finally Identified 3. Shakespeare In Love Sequel Solved 4. The Real Romeo and Juliet 5. Shakespeare's Malvolio Solved 6. Shakespeare's Real Petruchio



Monday, August 6, 2012

Shakespeare's Theater By Gustav Klimt

I had the opportunity yesterday to visit the Getty Museum in Los Angeles to see the Gustav Klimt exhibit.

I had hoped to see anything related to his work "Shakespeare's Theater" and I wasn't disappointed.



Painted in 1886-7, it is located on the ceiling of the Burgtheater in Vienna, and depicts the crypt scene of Romeo and Juliet as performed in the Globe Theatre.

Sketch of Juliet
Sketch of Romeo

The Getty was showing many of Klimt's sketches and I saw these sketches of Juliet and Romeo in person.

Taking photographs was not allowed, but I did find some good places on the internet to see many of the same sketches on display at the Getty:

The Getty has some images on their Pinterest page here and the Klimt Museum has some here

I like the painting very much because Klimt was trying to represent with painting what I am trying to do with my adaptations of the play -- depict the audience and the play together.

I love how the audience watches the play with rapt attention, especially the men in the Yard who seem to strain and rise up to see better.

I doubt very much that there were any wealthy patrons in the Yard, as depicted. I think that they would have naturally paid to sit in the Galleries, and would have not been seated without a cushion, which cost yet another penny.

But overall I enjoy the painting. It is very dynamic and quite unlike his other, better known, works.

Cheers,


David B. Schajer